An infected computer poses risks, not only to you, but also to other devices that may be connected to your network. When you suspect your PC has been infected, you will want to know how to remove a virus from a PC and do it as soon as possible.
Determining if a PC is infected
There are several signs that may point to your PC being infected with a virus:
- A slow-running computer. If your PC suddenly slows down in performance it can be a cause for concern.
- The appearance of pop-up messages that don’t go away easily. Normal messages tend to disappear once you’ve clicked or tapped on the right buttons. Annoying pop-ups that won’t go away are usually a bad sign.
- The startup of computer programs you don’t recognise. It’s important that you know all the programs on your computer so you can easily determine ones that you didn’t install.
- The sound of the hard drive constantly at work. Your hard drive is not supposed to be really noisy under normal circumstances.
While the appearance of one of these signs might not indicate a virus, having two or three happen at once is a clear indication something is wrong. It’s important to take action quickly by knowing how to remove a virus from a PC to prevent further damage. You may like to speak to a professional in virus removal and PC repairs Brisbane, for expert advice.
Removing a virus
If you choose to try and remove a virus from a PC yourself you can try the following steps:
Use a virus scanner
There are several good ones you can look at, each with features that suit different needs. For example, you can get an anti-virus program that also provides extra services like a free VPN. You can always start with a free anti-virus software if you haven’t decided on the exact features you need, but always choose a reputable anti-virus company.
Scan your computer
Once you’ve downloaded and installed a virus scanner, run the program immediately so it can search your computer for viruses. The process might take a while depending on the number of files and programs you have installed on your computer. It is a key step in how to remove a virus from a pc.
Recovering and reinstalling damaged files and programs
Some viruses are bad enough to damage your computer, leading you to seek assistance from a PC repairs Brisbane expert. However, some infections might just require uninstalling and reinstalling affected programs and recovering infected files.
It’s important not to just know how to remove a virus from a PC, but how to regularly backup your system and files, since that will be your source of recovery for anything that may have been damaged by the virus.
Preventing another virus infection
To avoid the need for ongoing PC repairs Brisbane you may wish to follow these tips:
- Correct installation of updates. Make sure to install the latest system and software updates.
- Updated antivirus programs. Install and frequently update anti-virus programs.
- Data backup. Back up data on a regular basis.
- Steer away from popups. Ignore and close pop-up messages, especially suspicious ones.
- Steer away from suspicious links. Avoiding clicking of links in email attachments, especially if from an unrecognised sender.
Knowing how to remove a virus from a PC is important so that you can take action to prevent further damage. If you need help with virus removal or PC repairs Brisbane or any other computer problem, get in touch with Less Stress Computer Services today!